Digital imagery plays a vital part in advertising and the use of graphics, illustration, and photography are used to promote key messages about brands to customers.
This assignment will allow you to explore both advertising and production methods (graphics/illustration/photography) as you design an advertising campaign of your own. After completing your research you will choose an object that will form the basis for a campaign of three billboard designs.
You should consider the attributes of the product carefully and design your imagery to create a message about the product and brand. Experimentation will play a key part in this brief and you are encouraged to use a variety of techniques before deciding on the direction of your final imagery.
Task 1 Advertising Analysis
Select a series of adverts, analyse who they are aimed at, what message is being communicated about the product created and what techniques are used.
Research the AIDA process of advertising and consider this whilst analysing your selected adverts.
Task 2 Image Analysis
Choose three advertisements that you feel are excellent examples of how creative advertising concepts can promote a product. Reverse engineer the image in detail showing exactly how you feel the image/advert was created.
Task 3 Experimentation
To help develop your adverts you will produce
- Mood-boards- Two mood-boards showing two examples of different styles of adverts.
- Analysis – Describe and analyse how both styles could be produced. Analyse image production techniques where appropriate.
- Test Shots – Select two products from home and create a series of test shots or illustrations.
To capture these different styles. This work will allow you to develop skills that will inform your ideas development.
Identify and discuss in your sketchbook the opportunities and constraints of client-led briefs, such as deadlines, target audience, a particular product, ethical considerations, copyright and inclusive design.
Task 5 Ideas development
- Create mind-maps for different products and possible concepts
- Create an initial concept board (giving consideration to the AIDA advertising process) for your chosen product and idea. This should show you the product, explain the concept, and show the type of imagery, fonts, and colours you will be using.
- Experiment and develop ideas for your concept using different studio techniques. A risk assessment is needed for your experimentation. Reflect and refine ideas as your work progresses.
Create a proposal explaining the equipment, techniques and intentions for your three images. Discuss how you will be creating the images ensure that your health and safety document covers all tasks you will be participating in.
Create three final images that combine studio product photography with concept-based images. Your work should show ability, creative flair, and should meet the intentions of your proposal.
Task 8 Evaluation
Complete a thorough evaluation that reviews the strengths and weaknesses of your final work. You should show links between your own work and research and discuss how your final images could be developed further. You should evaluate whether your final work is suitable for the purpose as well as reviewing the production process.
Work must be submitted by the given deadline. Requests for an extension to the deadline must be made in writing by completing the request form before the deadline date. Late work may not be accepted. At the discretion of the tutor, any late work accepted will be graded at the end of the academic year and will not receive feedback.